Vanilla extract typically contains 35% alcohol, which is not on the BLE food plan. However, if cooked, the alcohol evaporates, in which case you may consider using it in your food plan. A suggested alternative would be powdered pure vanilla bean without added sugar of any kind.
Vanilla extract is also sometimes used uncooked as a flavor enhancer in food, and you may want to consider the following recommendations before using it in its uncooked form:
1. The higher you are on the Susceptibility Scale, the more problems you may experience with this product.
2. Consider holding off usage until you have achieved automaticity with your Bright Line Eating food plan.
3. If you decide to try it, please do so with accountability in place: i.e., planned and committed and in consultation with your Mastermind Group, buddies, and/or BLE coach.
You may monitor your response to this potentially tricky food substance by applying the Four Questions (PHEW: Peace, Health, Escalating, Weight).
1. Do I have peace?
2. Is the food healthy?
3. Is my usage of this food escalating?
4. How is my weight with this food?
We recognize that the amount used in any recipe is usually quite small. For some, this could prove to be workable. For others who are acutely sensitive, it could prove to be problematic. Proceed with caution.